Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cooking Floyd: Tomato Cobbler

We are in the throes of all things tomato around here.  A description of this savory cobbler caught my eye and taste buds so I had to try it.  We love savory pies as well as sweet ones so why not a savory cobbler?
I admit I cheated on this one.  It was a long day, I was tired and hungry, yadda, yadda, so I took a shortcut.  I used Jiffy Mix to make the topping.  Geez, I know I should be making my own biscuit /pancake mix and I will, I will, eventually.  But for now, whatever.

Heat the oven to 375F and oil an 8"x8" baking dish.

Pick out 3 pounds of really ripe tomatoes, about 8-10 medium sized fruits.  Red, yellow or whatever color, paste, cherry or slicer, heritage or hybrid, or any combination that strikes your fancy.  I think a mix makes for more complex flavor just like it does in apple cider.  Wash and core them and cut into wedges.  Halve the smaller ones.

Toss the tomatoes with a tablespoon of cornstarch and a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Next mix up the cobbler dough according to the mix maker's directions for biscuits.  Before adding liquid to the mix stir in a couple tablespoons of a dried Italian herb blend or your choice of dried herb(s).  This would also be a good time to stir in about a cup of coarsely grated parm or cheddar, or maybe a pepper jack.

Toss the tomatoes again and spread them in the bottom of the baking dish.  I blanched, shocked in cold water, and peeled about a dozen small cloves of garlic, left them whole and strewed them across the top of the tomatoes.  You could also toss on some fresh chopped herbs if you liked.  A few red pepper flakes might not go amiss.

Top the tomatoes with spoonfuls of the prepared biscuit dough.  Leave a little space between spoonfuls for the juices to bubble through.

Place the dish on a baking sheet to catch any overflow and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until the top is golden and the tomatoes are bubbling.  Remove and allow to cool to just warm or room temperature before serving.

This recipe can be varied easily to suit whatever it accompanies but we ate it as the main attraction with a green salad on the side.  It's a simple way to enjoy the overflow of tomatoes in the summer and I'm thinking it will work well with canned tomatoes in the winter too.

No comments:

Post a Comment